Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

What are your steps in post processing?

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #4131 by Erin
Erin replied the topic: What are your steps in post processing?
WOW! This is a LOT of info!!! Thank you SO SO SO very much Conor and Bill for all of the detailed info. This is very helpful to me and I am anxious to play around with what you are teaching me. I truly appreciate your time! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! :)
P.S., actually I still shoot in jpeg. I've heard that you can edit more with a raw file - but since I didn't know that much about post edits - I never switched to raw - and it also takes up more memory, correct? I normally have a 16GB memory card.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Erin. Reason: to add the P.S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #4138 by Roy van Ommen
Roy van Ommen replied the topic: What are your steps in post processing?
Hi Erin,

Please let me say this.

SHOOT RAW! SHOOT RAW! SHOOT RAW!

Really, you are curious about photography, editting them, posting them. Shooting RAW will be your next step and really. Grap your camera after reading this post and put it on RAW only.

Yes it will take more space. But that means that you will get more detail in your images which you want to because you want to be a photographer.

So, with my 5d MkIII, with a 16 GB memory card, the RAW image would be like 32 mb a image. (around). So by a logical calculation i will get around 500 images on a memory card.

If you are shooting more on a memory card, get another one or consider to take less images.

If you are thinking about taking less images, i would recommend to think if a shot is worth it. Challenge yourself to get the pure good shots on your camera and try to get rid of the stuff you will not ever use.

So. GET YOUR CAMERA ON RAW! hehe

Greetings,
Roy

More
6 years 4 months ago #4145 by Erin
Just changed the camera settings to RAW B)
This should be fun!

More
6 years 4 months ago #4146 by Conor Casey
Conor Casey replied the topic: What are your steps in post processing?

Erin wrote: I normally have a 16GB memory card.

I laughed when I read that you're worried about Raw taking up too much space on your memory card. :P I use a 4gb card most of the time which allows 261 shots in Raw; I find that's plenty for most situations though.

Yes Raw takes up more memory, but the improvement in quality and scope for editing is well worth that trade off. Don't worry too much about the editing - it does take longer but I promise that the quality difference is well worth it once it comes to the final print.

Erin wrote: Just changed the camera settings to RAW B)
This should be fun!

Good luck Erin! :) You'll never look back! If you need any more help, that is what the forums are here for.

This is a victory for us Raw shooters - this is one more photographer out of the Ken Rockwell camp! :P

Conor Casey
Flickr

More
6 years 4 months ago #4149 by Conor Casey
Conor Casey replied the topic: What are your steps in post processing?
It has just struck me Erin that if you had been shooting jpg, you wouldn't have automatically been given Camera Raw when opening images in PS which is exactly why you hadn't heard of the Camera Raw features I was describing.

To open Camera Raw with a jpg, you should right click on the image in Adobe Bridge or mini-bridge and click "open with" - "open in Camera Raw".

I have also just thought of something else. If you are worried about learning Lightroom, you should check out the wonderful Serge Ramelli who is a French photographer living in Paris who does weekly episodes on Lightroom and sometimes Photoshop on Youtube. I think Serge is a great teacher and the podcast is always very professionally presented. If you are worried, you should definitely check him out! :)

You should also have a look at some of Greg's videos on Lightroom if you already haven't which, although they're is not as many of them as Serge, they are also great. :)

Conor Casey
Flickr

More
6 years 4 months ago #4150 by Erin
Well, I still can't figure out how to take a jpeg and convert to this open in raw thing in photoshop - but that's fine - I set my camera now to RAW and will take some shots tomorrow of my own kids (if they will let me.) Also crossing fingers to see if my husband is giving me lightroom as one of my mothers day gifts. He wanted a list - and that was one of the things on my wish list - so we shall see. If not, then I will download the free 30 day trial this week.
My eye is just off - I don't know why I go lighter and brighter - I haven't figured out the appropriate contrast. I know I always lean lighter and brighter - need practice practice practice. I am anxious to learn lightroom and find out what all this actions and preset things are about - thanks for the tip the videos to watch!

More
6 years 4 months ago #4160 by Jim St Croix
Jim St Croix replied the topic: What are your steps in post processing?
Hi Erin,
Hope you got Lightroom for mothers day. Another add on that has helped me immensely with my images, especially when i go to print, is a monitor calibrator. I use a spyder3 pro. It re calibrates your monitor so you see colors represented accurately. It was quite an eye opener to see the before calibration compared to the after. Now when i go to the local camera store to get them printed, I'm pretty sure I'll get really good results.

More
6 years 4 months ago #4162 by Erin
Jim, I feel like I"m learning a foreign language! With the the calibration, I've often wondered about it but didn't know how to do it. Thanks for the tip on spyder3 - I will look into it for sure - I am curious to have my own eyes open about the true color. Interesting. And no, I didn't get Lightroom. Booo. Lots of other great things though. I plan on downloading the 30 day trial and then treating myself to it after the trial ends. Thanks for all the tips!

More
6 years 4 months ago #4164 by Bill
Bill replied the topic: What are your steps in post processing?
my $.02 you already have PS elements and will be learning how to edit in Camera Raw(these basic editing skills will transfer) I would rather see you get a monitor calibrator before you get new editing software. It will help tremendously with getting correct color on your printed images. Check with an friends that shoot they might have one for you to try out, sometimes your local camera shop might have something they rent.

Calibrating is just making sure you have all your colors and brightness/contrast balanced in your monitor. They are always off from the factory. When you print your pics don't always look like your monitor, that a calibration issue. The tools available today make it fairly painless to calibrate.

More
6 years 3 months ago #4203 by Erik Ballew
Erik Ballew replied the topic: What are your steps in post processing?
My first step is to load them up into Lightroom 3, I skipped 4. Anyway, then I zoom in 1 to 1, and delete any that do not have my focus spot on. Nothing in my mind can save a photo that missed focus.

When I've found the photos from the shoot I plan to keep, I'll use Lightroom again to adjust the contrast and exposure a little bit, sometime the color and black levels if I'm going for something a bit more creative. Then I right click and select edit in Photoshop, making photoshop CS6 come up.

In here I'll grab the ol' healing brush and zap any zits or eye boogers ect. and very sometime but not very often at all I'll do a quick sharpen, but I really don't like it that much.

In short, I keep it simple. Making sure I do my best to get the focus and composition in right in camera, as well as getting as close to the best exposure as possible. Then minimum work in Post.

More
6 years 3 months ago #4205 by Erin
Thanks for your info - and letting me know how you do your post processing in Lightroom - I started this thread under photoshop because I don't have lightroom yet...my husband bought it for me and forgot where he hid it. I agree with your plan - to get it right the first time to do as little as possible work after - but I keep hearing over and over that it's too rare to get it right the first time and that I'm trying too hard to get it right - sigh sigh sigh.

More
6 years 3 months ago #4210 by Erik Ballew
Erik Ballew replied the topic: What are your steps in post processing?
I'm sorry for not noticing earlier when you said you didn't shoot in RAW.

This again goes back to get the file as best as possible before you take it to the edit bay. When you shoot JPEG the camera finishes off the file for you... Trying to think of a good way to explain it... It's like, well kinda like this message. You can see what I'm saying (JPG), but in person (RAW) you can see my lips move, hear my voice, see my hand gestures. There is SOOooOoO much more information in the photograph that is closed off when the camera makes the JPG.

Here is a good 10 Reasons you should shoot RAW, but my main one is. When you shoot raw, it's okay to miss the exposure by a bit.

photographyconcentrate.com/10-reasons-wh...uld-be-shooting-raw/