Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

Learning photo edits - judge away

More
6 years 5 months ago #4182 by Conor Casey
Conor Casey replied the topic: Learning photo edits - judge away

Erin wrote: So I just play with the mask slider (which I've never done before) - and skip the sharpen tool all together?

No, the mask slider should be used with the sharpen slider. Masking will remove some of the sharpening in the background; only the edges will be sharpened.

What exact tool are you using to sharpen Erin? Because there are a million and one ways to sharpen an image and it will be easier to help if we know which exact tool. :)

Also, is this a Raw file you are processing?

Conor Casey
Flickr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #4201 by Erik Ballew
Erik Ballew replied the topic: Learning photo edits - judge away
I think you might be trying too hard. I like the unedited one far more than the over sharpened one. In my opinion nothing is more important than nailing your focus.

And as far as I am concerned, you did nailed it on that pretty little red head. She is as sharp as she needs to be, now if I were to be editing this photo, I'd just had some contrast to make it pop and be done. I know as a beginner that it's easy to let yourself over do it, in the editing bay. Try not to fall into that.

That photo is tack sharp where it needs to be and the bokeh looks good the way you captured it. Like I said I would have only added a little contrast to make it pop and call it done!

More
6 years 5 months ago #4204 by Erin
Erin replied the topic: Learning photo edits - judge away
I don't know which picture I posted - as I don't see a redhead in the threads - but I can guess which one it was. Thanks for the tip Erik. The sad thing is, I hate to think of myself as a beginner because I've been taking pictures for over 10 years. And read books for 10 years, and subscribe to countless photog magazines as well as watch all the youtube videos out there. TEN years - and I still can't get my edit correct. The photo edits are what scare me. I want to jump away from "mom with camera" league and "beginner" - because 10 years is a really long time :(

More
6 years 5 months ago #4206 by Erik Ballew
This one

More
6 years 5 months ago #4207 by Erin
Conor - the only way I sharpen is in photoshop elements 10 - I click Enhance on the tip and scroll down to Adjust Sharpness - and slide away. Usually 80-100 percent and the radios up to 10-12 pixels. I'm learning that's too much. And trying to figure out how to sharpen the right way and mix that with the masking it. There isn't a place where I can learn photoshop locally - I don't know how everyone "gets" it so much. I talked with a local pro photographer yesterday and he told me not to worry and will teach me - but then he didn't email or call me today. I need to physically sit down with someone...open a photo together and go through the steps - with a few photos - and then I am realizing that everyone really has a different eye - there are some pics that people think are amazing and to me they are flat and dull and lack vibrancy and "pop." So I don't know what the perfect photo looks like. Or how to please people when you are taking pics of their kids. I might prefer lighter/brighter but they might before darker...sigh sigh sigh.

More
6 years 5 months ago #4208 by Erin
Really? You think I could just adjust contrast and call it a day on that one? I will play with it - thanks for the idea! As I was just telling Conor - I need to sit down with someone and do these edits in person - this is so hard to teach myself. Yet, I taught myself layers in paint shop pro version 7 over 10 years ago...and I can mix and merge and feather layers with the best of them, I can erase and change and fill backgrounds - and can do all that - but this adjusting color and sharpness etc - I just can't get it

More
6 years 5 months ago #4209 by Erik Ballew

Erin wrote: I don't know which picture I posted - as I don't see a redhead in the threads - but I can guess which one it was. Thanks for the tip Erik. The sad thing is, I hate to think of myself as a beginner because I've been taking pictures for over 10 years. And read books for 10 years, and subscribe to countless photog magazines as well as watch all the youtube videos out there. TEN years - and I still can't get my edit correct. The photo edits are what scare me. I want to jump away from "mom with camera" league and "beginner" - because 10 years is a really long time :(

That's the thing though, there really isn't a "Correct". It's ALL objective. We can only give opinions. I'm really just saying through my personal journey I've been through it all. I've spent too long paralyzed by self doubt, everything from "My gear isn't good enough" to "Why can't my work look like THEIRS!!". I was at a point that I quit photography after every shoot, regardless if the client liked my work or not.

Once I learned to keep things fun and simple. I was able to revive my passion for it. Now days I only carry one small camera bag with me, 3 lenses 2 flashes and that is it. Here I am on another rant, but I would just like to get the point across that I think stepping back, and not thinking too much about all the little things, makes you see the bigger picture a whole lot clearer.

More
6 years 5 months ago #4215 by Erin
Thanks Erik, I am trying to do that - but still wishing that I could learn the photoshop edits - esp. now that I can use camera raw. I have friends telling me that my pics are great and they'd pay me - so I want to leap away from "beginner" - just nervous to get paid and say I am a photographer. If this guy ever emails me back from the other day - and if I can sit down with a pro just one more time then I think I will make the leap. Thanks!

More
6 years 5 months ago #4226 by Roy van Ommen
Roy van Ommen replied the topic: Learning photo edits - judge away
Okay.. Erin.. I think we have to make a couple of things clear. Otherwise you will reach a certain point where you want to stop photography.

Let me first say this.

Enjoy photography. Take shots as YOU want them because they are nine out of ten times good because you are doing this so long.

There was a time i was watching loads of video's about how to do this, how to do that. How to hold, how to zoom. How to crop. How to not crop. Do not crop at all! I use this, i use that. I go left, you go right.

Well. Let all people jump 10 miles in the air. You are the person who is holding the camera and you are the only one who can get you out of beginner mode. Its not what people think about you. Its you who is giving you the grades.

In Holland, (The Netherlands) Photography is a free craftmanship. You can call yourself a photographer by buying a point and shoot camera. So you give yourself the grade.

Even though. I see it like this. You have 3 grades.

- Not a photographer (people who are just clicking a button. Just for on facebook or so)
- Photographer (making some money. doing some shoots, have a flickr account etc)
- Professional photographer (people who make a daily living out of photography. Owning a studio or so. Getting paid 9 out of 10 times etc)

So with that sad. I consider you as a photographer. Nothing like a beginner or so.

So what i think, is that you are trying to hard. You really should use lightroom in combination with RAW files. Try to skip photoshop for a while and try to get to the basic. Just minimal corrections. Try to get as much as possible it as you called SOOC.

Load the RAW file in Lightroom. If you don't have lightroom. I will sponsor you a copy of lightroom 4. How about that?

Start lightroom and move some sliders around. And try to get a clean edit in the firts place so you have 1 result. After that, try to do something wierd. Move sliders around and see what happens.

I can also give you some standard actions which can do some stuff. Send me a e-mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and i will make sure you will get the stuff in your mail.

The only thing which is weird for someone who has never used Lightroom is that you have to export the images instead of saving it. So :) Remind that.

I am looking forward for you reaction.

Sorry for my crappy English :)

Greetings,
Roy

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #4295 by Erin
Gosh Roy, thank you SO much for the post! I don't know why I didn't see this before now. You are right - I was almost ready to give up. I feel like I'm just missing something. Went on a photoshoot with local pro and he let me hold his reflector and just watch while he worked. He had an off camera flash which I don't have. He had a light meter and other cool stuff. The day after that I had to take photos of a family of 4 - and they were the worst pictures I had ever taken. It was a cloudy day and we were lots of shade. But my photos turned out very light - almost faded looking. It's the light and white balance that I just can't wrap my brain around.
Thank you SO much for all of the positive feedback Roy. It really helped. I don't know anything about Lightroom at all - but love the idea of being sponsored! Holy cow on that one! I just don't know what I would do once I opened it. I just started shooting in Camera Raw and now photoshop opens in camera raw - and I look at with confusion. sigh. Anyway - thank you SO much for all the positive feedback and making me feel better!!!!! I do enjoy photography, and when you love something so much it just - well it makes me mad when I can't figure something out.
P.S. - thank you SO much for calling me a "photographer." :)
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Erin. Reason: to add the P.S.

More
6 years 4 months ago #4297 by Roy van Ommen
Roy van Ommen replied the topic: Learning photo edits - judge away
No problem :) Thats why we are her for!

Just send me a e-mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and i will make sure you will get your copy.

Greetings,
roy