Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

× Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

Bad camera settings?

More
6 years 9 months ago #2836 by Gregory Cazillo
Gregory Cazillo replied the topic: Bad camera settings?

Keith Homan wrote: I recommend reading the histogram instead of actually trying to look at the pictures, that way you'll be able to see if you clipped or not a lot easier.

Thanks Keith, this was going to be my suggestion too!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #2837 by Gregory Cazillo
I only see an overexposure issue with this image, not a diffraction issue.

More
6 years 9 months ago #2840 by Roy van Ommen
Roy van Ommen replied the topic: Bad camera settings?

Gregory Cazillo wrote: I only see an overexposure issue with this image, not a diffraction issue.

No. There isn't. But there was a comment about using F16 or higher to stop some light.

Thats why.

Greetings,
Roy

More
6 years 9 months ago #2841 by Matthew
Matthew replied the topic: Bad camera settings?
I think the debate was if there would be diffraction if the image was taken at f16.

I read somewhere that f8 was a common aperture used in journalism, does that sound reasonable? I was in aperture priority mode for this shot, what would have been the preferred mode for this type of shot?

More
6 years 9 months ago #2843 by Gregory Cazillo
I'm not a fan of that type of rule, I shoot the aperture, iso and shutter speed that fits my style or what I want to create. I prefer to shoot manual mode 95% of the time and will only use aperture priority when its really needed like sports.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #2844 by Erik Ballew
Erik Ballew replied the topic: Bad camera settings?

Matthew wrote: I think the debate was if there would be diffraction if the image was taken at f16.

I read somewhere that f8 was a common aperture used in journalism, does that sound reasonable? I was in aperture priority mode for this shot, what would have been the preferred mode for this type of shot?

All the Debating is neither here nor there, the sole reason it over exposed had everything to do with too much light coming in the camera. You are seeing what makes the difference between a snap shot and a photograph here.

Aperture Priority is still an automatic mode where you camera tried to make a computed decision, and it failed. This is where knowing that you need to cut down the ambient light comes into play. You can increase shutter speed or stop down the aperture or both. To really answer your question the preferred mode for every shot will be Manual, this way you can make real decisions about how much light will make it to your sensor, and what you want to accomplish with the background.

[Edit] BTW I was using sunny f16 as a guideline, not a rule. Just play with it, going outside and dickin' around with your settings is the best way to learn what they make your camera do.
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Erik Ballew.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregory Cazillo

More
6 years 9 months ago #2850 by Mistery
Mistery replied the topic: Bad camera settings?
Every lens and camera is going to be different when it comes to defraction and you just have to find the limits on each one. I know with the trinity lens I have mounted on the D700 I can use F/16 all day long and not worry about it, same lens mounted on the D7000 I can go to F/16 with on and F/18 on the others.

Again one just has to play around with their equipment and get to know it well.

D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele